Sunday, July 17, 2005

A tribute

I learnt today from my dad, with great grief, that Mrs. Rani Chandran, our english teacher at PSBB KKN had passed away in a car accident in U.S on June 24th. She taught me briefly in my 12th std. All PSSBians will know the great teacher that she was and I don't have enough words to say it all. My thoughts and prayers are with her family.

A fitting tribute by one of our classmates appeared in The Hindu friday(15/07) edition. I've reproduced it here.

Exemplary life
JANANI GOPALAKRISHNAN
A tribute to a fine teacher.

Why would I want to write to a newspaper about a teacher who taught me several years ago? Three reasons. One, she was an exemplary teacher and these recollections can inspire many. Two, her death evoked deep emotions. Three, I want teachers reading this to know that their good work will be remembered by their students for many years.


Rani Chandran was an extraordinary teacher and taught in several schools in India and abroad. Starting 1991, she taught English for about a decade at Padma Seshadri Bala Bhavan S.S. School, K.K. Nagar, where she also served as assistant vice-principal.

Her dynamic and energetic presence was awe-inspiring. Her language was so impeccable. A student once asked "Excuse me, Mrs. Chandran, can I come in?" Promptly she responded. "Yes child, you can but you may not!" For a few minutes, we were left wondering what she meant. Later, she patiently explained that one must use `may' and not `can' when addressing an elder.

She was passionate about theatre and came up with mammoth productions for the school's anniversary celebrations. Even after she left India five years ago, due to health conditions, to live in the U.S. with her sons, she remained in touch with PSBB. On June 22, Rani Chandran, her mother and younger son died in a fatal road accident in the U.S.

Quoting from another teacher's homage to Rani Chandran, "She's in a better place now. But, what was the hurry?"



Yeah Ma'am. What was the hurry ? :(

6 Comments:

At 18 July, 2005 17:48, Blogger Kaps said...

I hv been reading about her from some blogs.

U might want to read the following -

http://mdeii.blogspot.com/2005/07/rani-chandran-memorial.html

My Linkin Park will be up tomorrow.

 
At 18 July, 2005 17:57, Blogger Dinesh said...

Thanks for the link, kaps.

 
At 24 July, 2005 15:00, Blogger Random Access said...

Yeah I guess what u r worth is only determined by how many people feel sad when u depart. In that way, she was really great.. A fitting tribute from many..Btw dinx, know what that janani is upto now? She always wanted to go into journalism..

Random Access
The search has just begun !!!

 
At 24 July, 2005 15:06, Blogger Random Access said...

A bit of googling..

Janani Gopalakrishnan is a freelance writer based in Chennai, India. She writes mainly non-fiction on topics ranging from technology and business to philosophy and culture.

- good to know shes living her dreams !

Random Access
The search has just begun !!!

 
At 24 July, 2005 19:29, Blogger Dinesh said...

Yep..I read that too..

 
At 17 May, 2006 10:54, Blogger Janani Gopalakrishnan Vikram said...

Oh my, I suddenly thought of googling for my own name and ended up finding two old friends wondering about me :)

Hey guys, Janani here! How're you doing? I, as you probably found out thanks to google, am a journalist now... a technology journalist to be specific. And given a chance I wouldn't change an iota of my life - I'm loving the life of a freelance writer! I do have a website too... unfortunately I think I have not done enough search engine optimisation on it, so it hasn't shown up yet on any of the search engines. If you'd like, please check out http://gjanani.googlepages.com and email me from there whenever you are free.

-------------

About Mrs. Chandran... too sad, words fail me. Here's a complete version of that tribute at http://gjanani.blogspot.com/2006/02/i-first-registered-with-blogger-to-pay.html

-------------

BTW, Din I recognised immediately. Who is 'random access'? What's with the cryptic name?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home