Monday, May 02, 2005

Pet Projects

I registered today for taking the GMAT in August (08/08 to be precise). And now suddenly all that interest in solving the quant questions, cracking the RCs has disappeared. I was pouring through them 24-7 from various websites until yesterday. What happened? Well, now it's become a committment. Whether I like it or not, I'll have to be prepared to take the exam on a certain date (unless I feel rich enough to reschedule/cancel, which I don't). That has sort of awakened the rebel in me and wants me not want to do it with the same fervor and vigour that was there before.

I think this sort of difference in attitude/approach towards stuff that you do at your leisure and stuff that you have to do within a certain deadline is universal. And Google seems to have understood it better than any other corporation.

Check out this blog entry. It talks about the Google's 70-20-10 policy. Yeah, apparently Google encourages employees to spend 10% of their time working on stuff - pet projects that may or may not pan out, may or may not be useful, but that are sure fun to play around with. There is no doubt in my mind that this is a simply brilliant strategy. Recipe for success, I might add!

3 Comments:

At 04 May, 2005 11:43, Blogger vishy said...

dei dinks r u thaink the GMAT on Aug 08/08.. did u really mean 2008..guess its a typo.. if by ne chance ur taking in 2008 then count me for company..

 
At 04 May, 2005 17:33, Blogger Dinesh said...

August 8th da! 08/08/05. Will mail you sometime tomorrow..

 
At 05 May, 2005 01:42, Blogger Random Access said...

The date adds to 23 (5), which is the year of the century too. 5 stands for Mercury, which symbolises wealth and business knowledge. And...you are gonna take up Financial Engg and I see all positive signs. All the best machans!

Random Access
The search has just begun !!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home