Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Statistical approach to predicting success

I'm counting my failures. Here's an attempt to know how many times more I may fail before I succeed:

Consider this quote "Failure is a stepping stone to success". Now then, the most pertinent question is 'How many steps there are to success?'. Assuming that the number of steps is a random variable, a study on the distribution of this r.v will provide us the required answer. I'm thinking Poisson distribution would be a good assumption to test.

Ok. That's as far as my thought process goes. The sample data collection & the hypothesis testing is left for the readers to perform...Please let me know of the mean value.

p.s: If none of this makes any sense to you. Good. You're normal.

7 Comments:

At 05 April, 2006 21:09, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm. chi squared tests? ANOVA?

 
At 06 April, 2006 06:05, Blogger vishy said...

Your theory of expectations cannot be applied to your scenario. Mainly bcoz I do not think you would find a big enough sample with the same background as yours.

Btw what made you think that the r.v would have a poisson distribution. I think thats what came to your mind on first thought.

But I know for sure that even if the probability turns out to be low you can still increases the chances of a positive out come by increasing the sample spaces (in this case the no of attempts or applications)

 
At 06 April, 2006 13:01, Blogger SG said...

Thank you for the encouraging words Dinesh!

 
At 13 April, 2006 23:05, Blogger vishy said...

dei Dinks I want you to post that poem you wrote... rem the one u posted earlier and then removed??

 
At 14 April, 2006 08:41, Blogger AynRand2008 said...

Then, I am either forgetful or normal. :-)

 
At 16 April, 2006 01:22, Blogger Dinesh said...

//dei Dinks I want you to post that poem you wrote... rem the one u posted earlier and then removed??

One - That was not a poem. Two - Don't have that post anymore. Deleted it and now it's lost forever. Not sure what was so interesting about that anyway. Stop obsessing over it!

 
At 16 April, 2006 14:10, Blogger Random Access said...

Dont think mean.. think Six Sigma.. ;)

Random Access
The search has just begun !!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home